Volunteer at AVDA
Volunteers are an important part of the AVDA family, and there are many ways in which you can join the team to help families trapped in a cycle of violence. AVDA volunteers can assist both clients and AVDA staff in a variety of ways. Some ways in which you can partner with AVDA in making a difference are:
- Administrative Help — Assist AVDA staff with filing, organization, case management, and other office tasks. Candidate may be asked to lift or move boxes or files. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Special Events — AVDA hosts a variety of community events, including volunteer activities and our annual fundraisers. We need volunteers to help with invitation addressing, registration, and other tasks associated with annual AVDA events throughout the year.
- Outreach — Help build community awareness about the pervasiveness of domestic violence by representing AVDA at area resource fairs or by delivering materials to agencies across the region.
- Translation — From time to time, translators in languages other than Spanish are needed to aid survivors who do not speak English.
- Family Violence Program Callback Support – Client advocates provide nearly 4,000 callbacks to victims annually. Through these callbacks, clients receive information and referrals for housing, financial or job assistance, child care, or a connection to other legal services not provided by AVDA. Additionally, callbacks are necessary to determine eligibility for legal services through AVDA’s representation. Volunteers will be trained on how to properly conduct these callbacks through an in-depth presentation on protective orders, victims’ rights, clients’ eligibility, client data management and how AVDA’s Legal Advocacy Program works. After training, volunteers will conduct callback support during our office hours with the oversight of a client Advocate. This opportunity does offer internships to qualified candidates.
To be considered for AVDA’s Volunteer Program, all applicants must complete the application below. Participants must also sign a confidentiality agreement underlining that you will not share any information about clients, cases or other sensitive information with anyone outside of the AVDA office. All volunteers agree to a background check upon completion and submission of their volunteer application.
Once accepted to the program, an orientation of the AVDA office, policy and procedures will be provided. Volunteers opportunities are generally during AVDA office hours: 8am – 5pm at 1001 Texas Ave., Suite 600 • Houston, TX 77002, but help with special events may be outside of those hours. Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.